- 1 Android Team Awareness Kit (CivTAK) Community Wiki
- 2 Resources
- 3 Documentation & Tutorials
- 4 Community Links
- 5 TAK Server Solutions & TAK Inter-connectivity Methods
- 6 Page Directory
- 7 Licence / Distribution
Android Team Awareness Kit (CivTAK) Community Wiki
The purpose of this wiki is as a community resource to allow people to document how ATAK and CivTAK work and promote them to the civilian community, including for First Responders of all sorts. If/when other products are released, they will be added to the wiki.
You are welcomed, encouraged and needed to edit and improve this wiki to encourage community development and extension.
What is TAK?
The Team Awareness Kit (TAK), for civilian uses, or Tactical Assault Kit (also TAK) for military uses is a suite of software that provides geospatial information and allows user collaboration over geography. There are numerous TAK Products in the TAK family, all developed at government expense
The Team Awareness Kit for Android (ATAK, also known as CivTAK) was originally developed by the Air Force Research Laboratory (AFRL) and is now maintained by a Joint Product Center.
ATAK (including CivTAK) is an Android smartphone geospatial infrastructure and situational awareness app. It allows for precision targeting, surrounding land formation intelligence, situational awareness, navigation, and data sharing.
All the Android variants of TAK are virtually identical and all are interoperable with each other and with other TAK products. There are small, military-specific additions in military versions of ATAK.
See the TAK Products page for a more comprehensive list of TAK Products.
Industry/civilian capabilities of CivTAK include:
- Online and offline mapping (most standard formats), with a blazing fast rendering engine
- Support for very high-resolution imagery (sub 1 cm resolution)
- Collaborative mapping, including points, drawings, locations of interest
- Extensive and customizable set of Icons
- Import and display of KML, KMZ, GPX overlays and maps, including online sources
- Location marking, sharing, history
- Chat, file sharing, photo sharing, video sharing, streaming
- Navigation-walking/hiking, driving, also useful flying and air-ground coordination
- Elevation Tools, heat maps, computed contour maps, viewsheds, routes w/DTED, SRTM, including dynamic profiling
- Hashtags and Sticky tags
- Center on Self, Center on other objects (e.g. another person in the network)
- Range, bearing, and other measurement tools
- Network-aware geofences with triggers
- "Bloodhound" destination tracking, including on moving objects
- Team Emergency Beacons
- Customizable Toolbar
- Radio controls and Integration
- Photo to map capability (aka Rubber Sheeting)
- Casualty evacuation tool
- Icon support for a wide variety of First Responder missions with further extensible Icons
- 3D perspective and ability to display 3D geospatial models
- Useful for First Responders, Hunting, fishing, ornithology, wildlife site survey
- An API with an SDK
The API and associated SDK allow developers with access to extend CivTAK's functionality in virtually any dimension. See the list of Civilian Plugins
- Official TAK Website Geoblocked to US IP Addresses Only
- Do not use / trust atakmap.com.
Download CivTAK / ATAK-PR
If you are having installation problems, see the Installation Problems page.
CivTAK / ATAK-PR Repackaged
This is an UNOFFICIAL repackaged version of ATAK-PR 126.96.36.199 with needed libraries to work with more Android architectures.
- ATAK-PR (ATAK v.188.8.131.52 (3a32eb4e)[civ.pr]) has plugin support internally. However does not actually support plugins and released by the government.
If you need plugins, you currently need CivTAK 4.0, which supports plugins. See the list of Civilian Plugins.
Mapsources and Datasets
- Public Mapsources (e.g. OpenStreetMap, USGS)
- Offline Imagery for TAK
- Elevation Data for TAK SRTM / DTED]
Icons and Symbology
- FEMA ATAK Icon Package - Included in CivTAK and CivTAK-PR.
- DHS ATAK Icon Package - Included in CivTAK and CivTAK-PR.
Documentation & Tutorials
Documentation / Resources
- There are several Training Resources available, in the form of the ATAK Manual videos, and HowTo Guides.
Adding Map sources and DTED Data
- Adding custom XML map sources.
- Adding GeoTIFF maps.
- How to load DTED data to ATAK.
- How to import ESRI Shapefiles.
- How to import Google KML/KMZ files.
Exporting Data from ATAK
- How to export ATAK data to Google KMZ/KML files.
Joining a TAK Server
- How to connect to TAKFreeServer.
- How to connect to TAK Server (1.3-above).
- Truststores & Passwords
- SSL Configuration
Video Tutorial Resources
- ATAK Tutorial - Push Pins (ATAK 2.X) YouTube
- ATAK Tutorial - Drawing Object Menu (ATAK 2.X YouTube)
- ATAK Tutorial - Route Manager Creation, Routing, Hiking (ATAK 2.X) YouTube
Troubleshooting Installation Problems
- TAKCiv.org collects public information and news about the TAK program.
Social Media & Discussion Groups
- Reddit ATAK Community (Reddit.com/r/ATAK).
- CivTAK Discord Server.
- ATAK Android Team Awareness Kit for Public Safety Facebook Group.
- A collection of YouTube Videos.
- A professional collection of training videos from TeamConnect
TAK Server Solutions & TAK Inter-connectivity Methods
Free/Open Source Solutions
- TAKFreeServer A Free Python-based 'TAK Server' Alternative
Licence / Distribution
ATAK-PR is the least restricted version of TAK and is made available to support virtually any individual or organization with a requirement to display Position Location Information (PLI). ATAK-PR is subject to the Export Administration Regulations (EAR) administered by the Department of Commerce, Bureau of Industry and Security (BIS), which advices this item is classified as EAR99 (CJ0001904 & CJ0002108-CJ0002135). TAK-PR is not authorized for release to an embargoed or sanctioned country, to a party of concern, or in support of prohibited end-use.
ATAK-PR and CivTAK, and their SDKs have also been approved for public release under the same restrictions listed above. See the Public Release paperwork here.
ATAK is NOT FOR SALE
"YOU ARE GRANTED A PERPETUAL, NON-EXCLUSIVE, NO-CHARGE, ROYALTY-FREE RIGHT TO USE, COPY, PUBLISH, AND/OR DISTRIBUTE THE ATAK PR SOFTWARE IN OBJECT CODE FORMAT, AND TO PERMIT PERSONS TO WHOM THE SOFTWARE IS FURNISHED TO DO SO. "
"YOU ARE NOT PERMITTED TO SELL, REVERSE ENGINEER, DISASSEMBLE, OR DECOMPILE THE ATAK PR SOFTWARE, OR TO PERMIT OTHERS TO DO SO."
Source: ATAK Licence - Settings > About > View EULA
Read the full (ATAK End-user License Agreement (EULA)) here.